Mite dust baths?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FrizzleFreak, Feb 15, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, how brilliant am I? I thought, since my birdies love to destroy the ground by taking baths, why not give them a sand box to bathe in? But wait! There's more! What if I mixed in some poultry dust, so they could dust themselves and save me a lot of work? Has anybody tried this? Would it work? Would they poison themselves?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Many people on here use food grade diotomaceous earth ("DE") for just that purpose. I can't say about poultry dust. My instincts say no as it IS a poison and I believe the container cautions not to let it get in their faces/noses/mouths.

3. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, yeah, DE sounds like a better idea. I just read the label of my poultry dust.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I add the 5% sevin dust to their dusting areas with no problems of any kind. If your flock already has mites, DE won't be nearly as effective.

bigzio

5. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    I hear a lot of folks use Seven-- but it IS a poison... what about the Birds health-- and can't it get into the eggs???

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I took a storage container that fits under a bed and filled it with sand and sprinkled some Food Grade DE in it for my birds to dust in. They loved it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by