Mite/Louse Identification

rubydiamond

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 13, 2011
chickenmite.jpg

Hi

I have found this bug on my chickens feathers.. and I have searched the internet and cannot find it .. it looks a bit like a louse but it only has 4 visible legs, though it has 2 feelers out front that may be legs, I wasnt sure. Its actual size is just under 2mm. The mite powder I used is "produced from silica shelled fossilised diatoms" that dehydrate the mites.. but these dont have that same look, they are obviously something different but its definitely bothering the hens as there are feathers pulled out and one of my hens yesterday layed an egg without a shell.

What is it???? I literally made the chickens white with the amount of mite powder I put on... and it did nothing... is there anything else I can try??? These mites seem to live on the feathers and I cant find any on their skin.

They did have mites once before but they were definitely recognisable and the mite powder worked a treat.. these are different.

HELP

I am itching myself at just the mere thought of them and I need to help my poor girls get rid of them!

Hi

I just looked up something similar Pigeon Louse, whats the active ingredient in the 7 treatment, I am in the UK and I don't think I have seen that here?

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I checked out that article, its definitely the wing louse... really useful thank you!

Back
Top Bottom