mite question

Firecracker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Central VA
Hi. I know that the tiny little mites that appear on my arm after gathering eggs or handling a chicken are inevitable. My question is, can I cause an infestation in my house? I noticed one crawling on my arm tonight a little while after I came back from the coop. I got kinda grossed out thinking I could bring those things in my house. Should I worry??

Quote:
I would worry. I would make sure I was treating birds, coops ( perches, walls, ground, and nests) and run area.
I would make sure I retreat within the appropriate time frame AND then re-treat an extra time 7 - 10 days later just to make sure you wiped them out . . . .

MAKE SURE you are not wearing to shoes into your house. I have one set of shoes by my backdoor that go from house to chicken coop and back again - - - those shoes NEVER come in the house. I wash my feet off at my backdoor BEFORE I come in the house. . .

I started doing this because my carpets are WHITE and it has turned out to be a good practice.

This is an itty bitty tan-colored little bug. Just felt a crawling sensation and there it was. Is that a mite?? or louse??

I live in the south - - so can not tell you if the cold will help - - - BUT I WOULD NOT THINK SO. . .
Your hens will keep the little mites so nice and warm. Plus, dinner is served 24/7 at the chicken inn.

There will be baby mites on the way before you can say - - ADAMS SPRAY !

Freezing weather kills them off in the environment, so the chickens don't pick up more. It can prevent reinfestations from the outdoors, so that is good. It's up to you to work on the ones living on the chickens or in the coop.

Whether you use DE or a pesticide, you need to treat your chickens and your coop, including your nests. For DE, you need to apply it to the chickens heavily, as it's physical action is what kills the mites. Use a dust mask, when dusting. With a pesticide, it's using a biochemical action to kill the mites and should be applied using the directions. Using more pesticide that the directions call for makes it more toxic to the chickens.

Doing everything you can to encourage dust bathing is really important when battling external parasites. It's their natural defense. Sometimes, chickens not raised by other chickens are slow to learn about dust bathing. In areas that get a lot of rain and have heavy clay soil, it can be harder for the chickens to find the fine, loose soil they need to dust bathe. Dry clay can be scratched up, but wet clay is just a mess. They can't dust bathe in mud. Sometimes, you need to provide a covered area that stays dry. That can also be a good place to add things like DE or wood ash.

Dust bathing helps them smother a couple of mites, before they turn into millions.

Back
Top Bottom