Mites have taken over! How do I get rid of them?

Sivory

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
Hello,
We have a backyard flock of 8 bantams of different breeds, they free range all day and wild sparrows and pigeons also frequent the yard.
I use Diatomaceous earth powder in all of the places in the garden that they use for dust baths and I put a thick layer in their coop too.
They are all healthy and seem unphased but there are so many mites (I think they’re mites) crawling through their coop and on the chooks. Every time I touch the coop or an egg I get them on my and my partner has experienced the same. To the point that I just need to have been outside the door and I will inevitably start itching and fine one on myself or the phone screen. They are so small I can squash it with my finger, I’ve got to use my nails or they just keep walking away.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this?

Hello,
We have a backyard flock of 8 bantams of different breeds, they free range all day and wild sparrows and pigeons also frequent the yard.
I use Diatomaceous earth powder in all of the places in the garden that they use for dust baths and I put a thick layer in their coop too.
They are all healthy and seem unphased but there are so many mites (I think they’re mites) crawling through their coop and on the chooks. Every time I touch the coop or an egg I get them on my and my partner has experienced the same. To the point that I just need to have been outside the door and I will inevitably start itching and fine one on myself or the phone screen. They are so small I can squash it with my finger, I’ve got to use my nails or they just keep walking away.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this?
Some SWEAR D.E. works, but most say it doesn't. I've never tried it, so I couldn't tell you.

@Eggcessive can give you a little bit of advice on handling mites. I know close to nothing when it comes to diseases, sicknesses, and mites in chickens.

Forget trying to "make" DE work...

Get something that actually works.... I use fipronil..... some places you can't get it but you can get something similar
Thank you, I’ve just ordered some lice & more spray online and I plan on using a high pressure gun to clean it out tomorrow

Where are you located? Depending on the country you live in, mites are better treated with permethrin 0.5% spray or the garden dust. Since mites reproduce every 5-7 days, the treatment should be repeated when new ones hatch out, before they reproduce. Treat you r coop, nest boxes, and roosts after removing all bedding. Then replace with new bedding, and check them again in 7 days.

I agree. In my opinion DE is pretty much worthless. I know there are people who swear by it and if it works for them that's great but I never had any luck with it. I use permethrin, but you need to treat the birds weekly for 3 or 4 weeks as well as their coop. Treat the coop weekly for 3 or 4 weeks spraying everywhere every nook and cranny. Permethrin won't kill the mite eggs so repeat weekly applications are necessary to kill the pests eggs as they hatch out. The bonus is that there is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat. You can get the premixed spray or the concentrate. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 8
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4
  • GallonSprayer.jpeg
    GallonSprayer.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 5
After using something that actually works, you might consider old-fashioned white washing the inside of your coop and roosts as a deterrent. It isn't the end all answer but can help.

Where are you located? Depending on the country you live in, mites are better treated with permethrin 0.5% spray or the garden dust. Since mites reproduce every 5-7 days, the treatment should be repeated when new ones hatch out, before they reproduce. Treat you r coop, nest boxes, and roosts after removing all bedding. Then replace with new bedding, and check them again in 7 days.
I am in Queensland Australia.

I agree. In my opinion DE is pretty much worthless. I know there are people who swear by it and if it works for them that's great but I never had any luck with it. I use permethrin, but you need to treat the birds weekly for 3 or 4 weeks as well as their coop. Treat the coop weekly for 3 or 4 weeks spraying everywhere every nook and cranny. Permethrin won't kill the mite eggs so repeat weekly applications are necessary to kill the pests eggs as they hatch out. The bonus is that there is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat. You can get the premixed spray or the concentrate. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...
View attachment 2879748View attachment 2879749
Thank you so much for your help. The mites are now in the house and eating us alive on the lounge and in the bed.
I am going to get it fumigated.

Back
Top Bottom