Mites... Help!!!

Spraying the birds is best done at night when they are roosting. In fact, you can spray them on the roost without picking each bird off the roost. Spray on the back, and under each bird including the roost bar. Simple!
Frontline is a pet only product, not approved for any animal that we eat, or that produces eggs that we eat. Use permethrin!
Mary

I’ve heard of using sevin dust in thier dust baths. I’ve put a bit of sevin in their coop before, also in the nesting boxes under the bedding. My chickens never had mites again. I like to mix wood ash with sevin to entice them to dust bathe in it.

Permitherin also works but my chickens hated being sprayed

I’ve heard of using sevin dust in thier dust baths. I’ve put a bit of sevin in their coop before, also in the nesting boxes under the bedding. My chickens never had mites again. I like to mix wood ash with sevin to entice them to dust bathe in it.

Permitherin also works but my chickens hated being sprayed
There are two problems with Sevin (carbaryl), one is that in some parts of the US mites are resistant to it, and the other problem is that it's no longer labeled for use in poultry. :( FYI, there are permethrin dusts labeled for use in poultry. :D

There are two problems with Sevin (carbaryl), one is that in some parts of the US mites are resistant to it, and the other problem is that it's no longer labeled for use in poultry. :( FYI, there are permethrin dusts labeled for use in poultry. :D

Yeah I wasn’t sure if it was allowed anymore! I haven’t had a mite problem this year so I haven’t dabbled in any bug killers yet, but I’ll probably use permitherin spray this year since I live in a super dandelion zone I’d hate to harm bees inadvertently with dust!

I’ve never seen the permitherin dust but I’ll look out for it!

A family member actually had a dog who was getting mauled by gnats and fleas the same year, and a neighbor dusted him with sevin and put it in his dog house. It helped for sure

You must treat each bird, clean out the entire coop, wash it well, destroy the bedding, treat the entire coop and nest boxes. Repeat the entire process again in 7 - 10 days, depending on the temperature. Do a google search to find out what kind of mites you are dealing with. Most people use Permethrin, either powder or spray. Diatomeceous Earth does absolutely nothing to cure a mite infestation.

Is Permethrin safe to use on the ground if the chickens are gonna be scratching and pecking in it? I’ve got 3 chicks, less then a week old, and their mumma in a run together and the mites are in the soil I can’t move the run elsewhere and I need to have the wee ones contained cause I have stray cats around. There’s a loose layer of soil at the top, so I’ll start by removing all that, but I guess that’s not gonna completely help...
Mites are such horrid things!

Back
Top Bottom