Mites? How can I tell??

CARS

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Saint James/ Comfrey MN
This may be the dumbest question ever asked but is it obvious when your birds have mites?

I am going to sell some feathered foot chickens soon and looked them over. It seems alot of people have mite problems. I don't see any and I admit to not having the most perfect litter changing regiment. Although many say my barn is the cleanest one they have ever bought eggs from. I do what I can.

Is it possible that I just don't have mites?

Yep, I'd say that is a possibility. Not everyone gets them, But they are very common. You can look close to where the feathers shaft comes out of the skin and around the vent area. That is where you will normaly see them if you have them.

if they look like little black periods crawling all over your chickens then there mites if they are light colored oval shaped bugs they are lice. lice is easier to treat just dust them with some poultry mite/lice dust and they should be fine.

they don't start as black at first. They are white at first but as soon as they start to feed they get darker. Dust them really good with poultry dust. and often. They arnt the easiest to get rid of...

Thats the truth...I discovered them 3mos ago, and I reg. dust and cant get them all cleared up!!!! I dust flock, run, and coops....

Any idea how to get rid of them...I read that Mosquitos and Ticks cause mites/lice???

Back
Top Bottom