Mites in new store bought pine shavings?

Yellow321

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2024
I used to use straw in my bedding. But 3 days ago I switched to pine shavings from tractor supply and another local feed store. Now my 5 week old chicks are constant scratching since changing that bedding. Has anyone ever had mites or lice in a new bale of pine shavings bag?!

They're in my garage so not on the outside ground. I just don't see how else they would have gotten so itchy. I check their bodies but don't see much, but I'm new to this and don't really know what I'm looking for!

Got any sand or dirt around outside? Put it in a Tupperware and let them eat the grit. Just to be sure they can digest it.
I live in the desert so my whole backyard is sand! I have store-bought grit in their cage that they peck at, but I can start utilizing the free stuff right outside. I just worry because I'm not sure actual WOOD pieces are even digestible, are they?

Shavings are dustier and mine love to dust bathe in them especially the tiny flake stuff. I like them cause I can stir it and don't have to clean ever day 😁 I imagine it could be itchy and growing feathers must be itchy too! I really hope it isn't bugs!! Please be itchy dust in feathers not bugs!

Shavings are dustier and mine love to dust bathe in them especially the tiny flake stuff. I like them cause I can stir it and don't have to clean ever day 😁 I imagine it could be itchy and growing feathers must be itchy too! I really hope it isn't bugs!! Please be itchy dust in feathers not bugs!
Ah. I hadn't thought of their growing feathers may be itchy. That could be it. I'll keep an eye on them. Mine are actually eating the tiny pieces 🫤 so I wonder if they'll be ok?!

Sure bought grit is great I'm just cheap 😁 I would think if they can eat sand and grit a small amount of wood shouldn't stand a chance inside the crop especially if they got grit in their crop.

Back
Top Bottom