Mites in old stable block: help!

Rebeccachooks

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2020
Our 6 hens live in an old stone stable block with wooden partitions (with bark still on). It has a cobbled floor! A friend stored timber in one stable for 10 plus years. The place has been infested with mites so I had to get rid of all the mitey timber I could and have sprayed the wooden walls with Smite and dusted with hens with DE powder x 3. I notice they are still itching though and now wonder if, perhaps because I can't possibly clean out all the dust and dirt and engrained stuff between the cobbles I should just give up and get them a swish wooden hen house that I can keep clean. Seems weird though when hens have made do with old farmyard buildings for centuries that I cant make it work? My next question is do the mites live outside in the grassy run they've currently got ( as I cant think where else to station the a new hen house if I do get one!). To be honest, the mites were so bad I was badly bitten myself as was my husband when he took a chain saw to the tree trunks! Any advice or comments much appreciated (we're in the UK).

What is this?

The DE isn't going to help. Can you get a hold of Permethrin or Spinosad (Elector PSP)?
I would do another cleanout, use a leaf blower (while wearing a very good quality respirator) and leaf blow the coop out then go back in and use a shop vac to vacuum it out then spray the whole thing down with a 0.5% solution of Permethrin. In the States, you can get Permthrin as a 10% concentrate. You would dilute this to one part Permethrin 10 to 19 parts water to make the 0.5% spray. Dilute it into a garden pressure sprayer and spray all the wood down then let it dry then rebed the coop with fresh bedding.
To treat the birds themselves, the dilution rate would be 1 part Permethrin 10 to 200 parts water to make a 0.05% solution. You would then spray each bird with 1/2 ounce of solution. I would spray under the vent through the fluff, under each wing, under the hackle feathers at the base of the neck and under the chest feathers.
You would have to repeat all of the above (without doing the leaf blower/vacuum part - just remove the bedding and sweep) at 7-10 days to kill any mites that hatched from the eggs that can't be killed with Permethrin.
If the infestation is very bad you may need to treat a third and fourth time at 7-10 day intervals.

What is this?

The DE isn't going to help. Can you get a hold of Permethrin or Spinosad (Elector PSP)?
I would do another cleanout, use a leaf blower (while wearing a very good quality respirator) and leaf blow the coop out then go back in and use a shop vac to vacuum it out then spray the whole thing down with a 0.5% solution of Permethrin. In the States, you can get Permthrin as a 10% concentrate. You would dilute this to one part Permethrin 10 to 19 parts water to make the 0.5% spray. Dilute it into a garden pressure sprayer and spray all the wood down then let it dry then rebed the coop with fresh bedding.
To treat the birds themselves, the dilution rate would be 1 part Permethrin 10 to 200 parts water to make a 0.05% solution. You would then spray each bird with 1/2 ounce of solution. I would spray under the vent through the fluff, under each wing, under the hackle feathers at the base of the neck and under the chest feathers.
You would have to repeat all of the above (without doing the leaf blower/vacuum part - just remove the bedding and sweep) at 7-10 days to kill any mites that hatched from the eggs that can't be killed with Permethrin.
If the infestation is very bad you may need to treat a third and fourth time at 7-10 day intervals.
By the way, this is Smite https://chickensbristol.co.uk/product/smite-professional-concentrate/

DE in my opinion is a waste. I tried it too and it didn't work for me. Some people swear by it and if it works for them that's good. I personally use Permethrin. It works and a lot less expensive then Elector PSP. I use the permethrin concentrate and mix for the 0.50% solution. I have had good luck with it when I have needed to use it. Good luck...
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

DE in my opinion is a waste. I tried it too and it didn't work for me. Some people swear by it and if it works for them that's good. I personally use Permethrin. It works and a lot less expensive then Elector PSP. I use the permethrin concentrate and mix for the 0.50% solution. I have had good luck with it when I have needed to use it. Good luck...
View attachment 2826550
I have found some Elector. Permethrin seems to be o/s!

Back
Top Bottom