Mites/lice...I need help!

chubbydog811

Songster
11 Years
Dec 24, 2008
New Hampshire
To start off, my rooster went after me, so I picked him up and was holding him. I have been noticing the rooster, and now the girls, have been loosing their feathers, mainly on their head/neck...
So I was looking at rooster, and saw small yellowish bugs crawling all over him...

Are these lice or mites?

Can I treat the same way for either?

How effective is sevin dust? Should I get anything else?

Where should I go from here? - I know to clean the coop, and spread the dust everywhere. I assume this includes the chickens...
But what else should I do, and will they stay away, or should I keep treating?

I have read a lot of the posts on here about them, but they didnt really answer my questions in great details...

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I think I am going to just pick up some Sevin dust to start with...

Is it true that you shouldnt eat the eggs after using it? And for how long if this is true?

We sell our eggs, and would hate to be behind a week...But I guess if we absolutely have to toss them...I would hate to waste this many eggs! We are getting about 12 a day.

Forgot to ask - Is there any bath type thing I could do? Or just dust and redust later?

Last edited:
Changed my mind...Im getting DE instead...Anyone have experience using it? Can we still use the eggs since we arent using chemicals??
Also, how often should I dust everyone/everything?

Thanks!

I'd go with the Sevin, too - even though I'm a big fan of DE. But I don't use it to dust birds because of respiratory issues. You can put it where they usually dust bathe -this is different. But it won't treat an existent issue. Use the sevin - on the bird, in the bedding. Fluff it around in the nest boxes especially. I'm betting you're seeing feather mites. They eat the protein of the feathers as well as the moulted feathers. Usually mites and lice, blood takers, will have a more pinkish or redding tint (though not always). In that case you'd treat with something like ivermectin.

You'll treat initially, and then after the hatching cycle. I give it 2 weeks then retreat.

Hope that helps!
Incidentally, here's a wonderful website designed for Martin lovers but gives some good pictures of various mites, lice, etc. Its a bit gross - so take note.

http://tinyurl.com/qkkz2m

Nathalie Ross

One other choice is permethrin/pyrethrin, available as dust or spray. Around here we can buy it as Adam's flea and tick spray (Walmart, vet) or poultry dust (feed store.)

OMG I forgot about Adams.
smile.png
I love that stuff.

I use Adam's apray and/or Sevin Dust! Both work great and immediately. Just make sure you spray/dust well under the wings, back, top of head, and chest. And wear old clothes if dusting--it's messy..oh, and do it outside as it's not good to breathe in...

"Incidentally, here's a wonderful website designed for Martin lovers but gives some good pictures of various mites, lice, etc. Its a bit gross - so take note.

http://tinyurl.com/qkkz2m"

Gross, but very useful! But I don't see what is in my pine shavings - thought it was the same thing as chubbydog811. I cleaned out all of the shavings yesterday, and the are hundreds and hundreds of these nasty tiny yellow / orange crawling bugs. I don't see them on my girls though - but haven't finished checking them all yet. I guess I will 7-dust too. I'm just so grossed out....ewwwww:sick

Back
Top Bottom