Mites/Lice or just normal

horaj004

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
We have 2 chickens and they seem to have lost the feathers around their vent, and they are now short shafts. The area is red as well. We have not found lice but we did dust them for lice, and cleaned out and dusted their coop. We have dusted them a further 3 times but they are still red. It does not seem to bother them, they are eating, interacting and running around. We have been getting less eggs of late, but it has also been very hot. As I mentioned we have not seen any lice. Any suggestions?

There are many possibilities. Does it smell? Does it look swollen? Does it feel normal or squishy? Are they loosing feathers anywhere else? Are they loosing weight? Do you have feather eaters? Do you have a rooster? If so, hen to rooster ratio? With that kind of baldness you should be able to see egg sacks (white/grey crusty at base of feather shaft) if it were lice. With the regrowth I am thinking more then likely a molt but need the answers to the questions to rule out any other problem first.

It does not smell or look swolen. They are loosing some feathers in other places as well, but not loosing weight. We do not have a rooster. Have not seen any egg sacks, that is why I am thinking it might be molt.
Thanks for your help.

That sounds like a molt. Give them some extra protein such as meat, meal worms, or yogurt to help them get threw it faster and prevent possible feather eating. If you see any other signs you are not sure about let us know.

Back
Top Bottom