Mites on my Rooster and I treat with DE!!

I used DE with no success and went out and bought Sevin. cleared up the bug problem in no time.
I stripped the coop and run and covered EVERYTHING with the dust. Made sure to get it in every nook and cranny as well. Dusting the girls wasnt too terrible.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

I used DE with no success and went out and bought Sevin. cleared up the bug problem in no time.
I stripped the coop and run and covered EVERYTHING with the dust. Made sure to get it in every nook and cranny as well. Dusting the girls wasnt too terrible.

I think any objective look at this issue would yield a similar result. I sussspect that DE is most successful at controling mites & lice where there are none.​

All I had was 10% Sevin so I went with just dusting with DE again last night and will be stopping today to pick up 5% Sevin. I had to turn Randy back in with the girls because he was just so upset with being alone in the barn and I felt sorry for him. We did a close examination of each one as we dusted and I did not "see" any bugs on anyone, not even Randy after treating him and seperating him for the day and we looked closely. The hens did not appear to be bugging him this morning either so that's a good sign I think.

My son and I went out and he held them while I dusted them and we had no trouble so hopefully tonight will go just as smoothly and again in 10 days.

Quote:
Thats great.
smile.png

needmorechickens! :

Can you eat the eggs of the hens if they are ingesting some of this Sevin?
hu.gif

~Rebecca

It is fine to eat the eggs. I just rinse them off, because the dust gets on the eggs. But if you have allergies I would wait maybe 1-2 weeks before you eat the eggs. I dont have any allergies so I eat them and im fine.​

Quote:
I havent had any problem. I also read a post on here about a guy who dumped sevin on a huge nest of earwigs ( i think ) and they were covered, and then the chickens came over and gobbled up the earwigs, and the chickens were fine, no adverse reaction.

Sevin 5% has the same exact ingredient as Prozap 5% poultry dust, just a different name.

Thanks so much for the info!
I'm a nurse in Home Health and the topic came up today in the office regarding a patient that has lice, scabies, etc and my thoughts went right to BYC and the posts about 'bugs', LOL. I had a mental picture of dust bathing a patient! Yes my sense of humor can be weird. Man, I got it bad! Plus I have itched all day!!!

oh! too funny! I teach school and deal with head lice - MY mental picture was going thru my classroom with a little panty hose full of dust and shaking it over the heads of several students .....
I'd probably have to chant something while dusting them - they'd laugh hyterically...
yes, we ARE a weird bunch! (scratching my head now)

What do you do with the walls of your coop? I have the mites on my walls too. Do they eventually fall off or do you make a whitewash with the DE and coat the walls?

Back
Top Bottom