Mites - PLEASE help!!!!! Can I use a bug bomb in the coop to get rid of them??

.... Got this from a nutritionist with a degree in livestock nutrition
I think that the nutritionist meant that it would prevent flies from breeding in the manure not mites or lice since all but the Red or chicken mite pretty much lives 24/7 on your birds.

Flies on the other hand must have a food source for their young and because flies have a different life cycle from mites and lice, flies use manure and carrion for this purpose.

Last edited:
Few people withhold their own eggs, but I would do it if I was offering my eggs for sale. Sevin 5% Dust is no longer licensed for use on poultry in this country but it is still permitted for use on poultry in many other countries. Sevin works so well on chicken mites that no one but big commercial egg producers pays much attention to Uncle Sam's ban on its use. Sevin was permitted on chickens in the USA for decades until 5 or so years ago. I think that the withholding period is 14 days from last use but it may have changed again. On raw tomatoes you can use Sevin I think it is up to 3 days before harvest or use.

On any and all pesticides their big bad scary sounding name doesn't make a hill of beans. The only thing that matters is how big a dose of it the bug gets. If you drink to much bottled water too fast you will die from an electrolyte (salt) imbalance or shortage. The biggest difference between 5%, & 10% Sevin Dust and 50% Sevin Wetable powder is how the farmer distributes or uses it.

In addition to all the excellent suggestions so far, if you were planning on deworming your chickens with an Ivermectin pour on this would be a good time. I understand this will take care of the mites on the chickens.

I've used Sevin powder and it works very well. I've used it on the chickens. After a mite attack a few years ago I put Sevin under the bedding (just not where they lay eggs).

But if you are trying to go organic I don't believe you can use any of my methods
sad.png

Lots of info - thanks!

So the 5% Seven dust is what I need? Then the plan is to dust the chickens with the Seven, then clean the coop good and use Permethian liquid spray.

After 10 days or so, swap the above info & do again (Permethain spray on chickens, Seven on coop).

Does this sound good???

Go the nutrena site. It's mites the feather fixer works on. There is a pretty informative article there.
I did go to the Nutrena web sight and I read the information 5 times especially looking for any claim by Nutrena that their Feather Fixer Feed with Mite-Fighter Technology would rid fowl of mites. Nutrena was very, very, very, careful not to make any such claim. I therefor can only believe that there is no great mite fighting benefit to be gained by feeding Feather Fixer Feed with Mite-Fighter Technology.

At any rate the most destructive mite that preys on chickens is the common chicken mite. This mite lives in the cracks, and crevasses of the coop, nest, and roost poles. After dark it swarms out of hiding and attacks your birds. It is therefor not dependent on your chicken's vent for its the water source because it feeds only on blood. The common chicken mite bypasses the need to congregate around the vent. Besides, the Common female Chicken Mite lays her eggs in the same cracks and crevasses were the adult mites spends their daylight hours. Furthermore if a Northern Fowl Mite is unhappy with the taste of the water around a chickens vent because of the PH of the chicken's food, the Northern Fowl Mite can also obtain its moisture from your chickens eyes. This may be more information than many of you want but that doesn't change anything.

I would just like to add that most feed stores sell permethrin in powder form to use on the birds. It's usually called garden and poultry dust. I like Sevin dust. Permethrin is good to spray to coop, and also another spray called Ravap is very good to spray coops and birds. The litter should be removed, and all walls an nest boxes should be sprayed or treated. Birds should be dusted every 7 days for mites, and every 10 days for lice to get the eggs, until you see no more. Straw and hay brought in can harbor mites, so be aware if you use it.

Got some permethrin spray in a one quart bottle from my local feed store that worked wonders on a pheasant that I got from a breeder that was infested with lice .. and the bottle only cost me about $8 dollars. .. hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom