Mites - PLEASE help!!!!! Can I use a bug bomb in the coop to get rid of them??

We are battling our first outbreak as well but I do have a few questions as I may have been given bad info:
1. I was told that the mites can't live without the chickens. So if I were to dust the chickens and then move them to a different coop (We have 3 here) wouldn't the ones infesting their current home die off over time on their own? Our plan was to wait 7-10 days and then clean the coop out really well but the dusting of the coop seems like overkill IF they will die on their own without the chicken as a host.
2. As stated above, IF mites need the chicken to survive why would they have any affect on the humans, pets, etc. I was told that they won't hurt humans and pets and will die within 7-10 days.

Thanks in advance!
I’ve come in from the coup with mites in my hair even a month after the chickens were gone.you have to break the cycle the mites mite die but their eggs dont. I would use the dust for sure a week after the chickens are gone

I use the deep litter method. 6 months ago I rescued 2 birds from an abandoned house they were in pretty rough shape. My whole coop got seriously infested. My poor chickens had holes in their feathers and bugs all over them. I got the red cans of seven dust and used the stocking method to dust my chickens. Then I dusted my whole coop, raked it in a little and then put down a new layer of litter. I did not remove any litter. within a couple of weeks all of my birds were bug free and also my coop. They are still bug free I check them constantly as I am now paranoid of them getting infected again, plus I do quite a bit of trading at my local auction and don't want to take or receive any bugs.
So many folks where I live think it’s ok to have some chickens and figure they look after themselves.it just ain’t so.you have to do your chores people.and that means cleaning the chicken house every day.look after the jobs when they’re small and you won’t have a big job with a big problem.it’s called husbandry

:welcome :frow This is an older thread but still pertinent. There are times when the wild birds can get into coops and they can introduce pests. Now we have some good products to treat for the pests. The products do not kill the pests eggs so weekly treatments are needed for 3 or 4 weeks to kill the pests as they hatch out. You are correct that some people shouldn't have birds. I raise my birds to show at poultry shows. I currently have around 500 birds. Some of my young males will be sold this weekend. We used to process them but now it's more cost effective to sell them to offset the price of the feed. We are elderly so it isn't as easy anymore. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom