Mites question

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey!

I'm seeing some red poultry mites scuttling around on top of my coop (Eglu Cube) but neither on my chickens (did thorough inspection) nor inside the coop. What should I do? My girls free range all day in nice weather and are inside the coop from 8:30 PM-6:45 AM. Bedding is aspen shavings, Sweet PDZ, little bit of DE, and timothy hay in the nesting boxes.

TIA!

They may be the type of mites that only feed on the birds at night when they roost. My suggestion would be to check the birds at night after they roost. I use a headlamp so I have both of my hands free and inspect the birds. I have used DE and it's useless against pests such as mites and lice. Lesson learned the hard way. Now I use permethrin which is effective against the pests. Most poultry dust has permethrin. Good luck...

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1
I think I'm having the same issue. Noticed it on Sunday when I was cleaning out the coop. I only have the poultry powder that contains permethrin.

I immediately cleaned out the wood shavings throughout the floor of the coop and nesting box. Washed out the nesting boxes since they had some hiding in the crevices. Then powdered the corners and the floor and surrounding perimeter of the floor and replaced fresh shavings but mixed the powder in it. I had to buy more poultry powder yesterday but I powdered down all of my chickens... including the ones I currently have separated - just in case.

I've read to repeat every 5-7 days for 3-4 weeks.

What I would like to know is how extensive do I need to clean the coop? Should I purchase the spray and spray down the roofing? Do I treat the area they free range? Are their eggs consumable after?

I was trying to make one of my hens go broody but I'm guessing it would be best to postpone until they're clear?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I don't know how to make birds go broody but there are breeds that do tend to be more broody than others. I would spray. The dust is ok but if you have a pretty hefty infestation I would either buy the permethrin concentrate or premixed spray. The dust is usually 0.25% but the spray is 0.50%.

Attachments

• Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 2
I don't know how to make birds go broody but there are breeds that do tend to be more broody than others. I would spray. The dust is ok but if you have a pretty hefty infestation I would either buy the permethrin concentrate or premixed spray. The dust is usually 0.25% but the spray is 0.50%.

Thank you for your response.

:frow

Should I spray down the everything, ceiling/roofing, walls, etc?

Do I treat the area they free range?

Are their eggs consumable after treating with permethrin?

Last edited:
Personally I use an incubator then I can hatch eggs whenever.
Hahaha, that would be the better method. My uncle said to leave at least 12 eggs so, I figured it was worth a try ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ mostly fake eggs with 4 fertile from my mom's flock. No idea what the outcome would have been but I was interested in trying since one of my hens started to sit in the nesting box more and more.

Thank you for your response.

:frow

Should I spray down the everything, ceiling/roofing, walls, etc?

Do I treat the area they free range?

Are their eggs consumable after treating with permethrin?
I would spray everywhere including cracks and crevices. I wouldn't worry about their free range area. There is no egg withdrawal period. I eat the eggs. Never had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom