MITES *UPDATE* - Are these really mites or something else?????

Quote:
Elder beetles are hatching like crazy and now and they are tiny and red. They are annoying but of no harm to your birds. Check tonight just to make sure

The difference between 7 dust and DE is DE is all natural.. it is tiny crustaceous ? word?
big_smile.png
skeletons that can be ingested and touched by people and animals but is very sharp and is lethal to tiny bugs. 7 dust is a formula of chemicals that kill bugs. I don't think 7 dust is harmful and many folks on here use it but I like using the natural stuff if it works. With really bad infestations, you may need to kick it up a notch. Many folks on here use DE as a preventative. Once a month or so after cleaning the coop, add the DE ....sprinkling it in all the nooks and crannys then add your fresh shavings.

You can go to a lot of the extension center websites and find pictures. Norther fowl mites is a good place to start looking.

I used DE in our henhouse for a long time, then started developing respiratory symptoms myself. Sore throat and a nagging cough that wouldn't go away. It went away when I stopped using DE. But then the girls got lice. We never had problems before this winter when I stopped the DE. It's been a battle since, but I think it's because I'm not dusting the girls frequently enough and new hatches/eggs keep occurring.

The first time I treated, I used Poultry Protector spray. I believe I had used DE within a few days of that. That really knocked a lot of the lice out, but they of course returned. So if you do that method, it might work if you are diligent. I actually saw lice die on the spot when I sprayed the Poultry Protector on them.

Tonight, however, I will by trying Sevin dust. I did a search today and found a good article through Cornell University that convinced me it was OK to try. Normally we like to go very organic.

But even with DE being organic, you still have to be very careful about breathing in the dust...I wear a respirator. I feel like Darth Vader when I enter the coop, and we live on a busy corner so I do it at night in the dark. Call me a private person, but nobody likes to look like a psycho chicken lady with a crazy mask, flying powder and prone chickens being held in the grass.

Edit: LOL! I know this thread is about mites, not lice. Just wanted to share my experiences with the lesser of the bug evils and our DE.

Last edited:
Today I picked up one of the chickens and suddenly had a tiny red spider crawling on my arm. I examined the chicken and found nothing....I looked under the wings and under all the feathers. No sign or them. They when I was changing their waterer and filling the feeder, I noticed that the wooden blocks that they were sitting on to give them height were infested with them. I should note that the chickens are in a pen outside which is filled with compost. Saw dust, rotting leaves and kitchen waste. It stays pretty wet. I'm wondering if the red spiders I'm seeing are something other than mites that are attracted to wet, rotting organic material? Any help would be great. Oh, and the chickens seem to be behaving normally. The only thing I've noticed is that I'm seeing an occasional feather here and there in their run. They're not pecking each other. Maybe this is normal. They are around 8 weeks old. Any help would be really appreciated!

Where I work, I'm in charge of the exterminator that does our buildings. This time of year there is a very annoying little bug called the red clover mite covering many surfaces outside. so tiny you may not notice them unless you are very close to the surface.They do get inside and are harmless. They just leave little red spots when squished.

Back
Top Bottom