Mites?! What to do?

galaga6846

Songster
Dec 28, 2021
Des Moines IA
I have three hens that aren't laying right now. Combs and waddles look pale, losing weight. Finally I checked one's vent and saw tiny bugs crawling around the opening and in the feathers. I assume these are mites. It would definitely explain things. What is the absolute BEST way to get rid of them? There are none in the coop from my examination, and I can't find evidence elsewhere. Thank!

Are they dark little specks (like pepper) running around quickly? Then they do appear to be northern fowl mite. Slower straw colored bugs are lice.

I have preferred to use permethrin poultry dust to rid mild to moderate infestations of a few birds. Sprinkle under wings and at vent. Rub into skin. Wear a mask as it is dusty. Another way is to take a small garbage bag, sprinkle some poultry dust into the bag, insert bird into bag (with head outside) and shake...like the old fashioned shake and bake bags (without baking).

I don't recommend DE (diatomaceous earth) as it is very unsafe for the lungs (human and animal).

You can also get a permethrin spray and spray the birds, especially at the vent. You should also spray the coop roosts and corners. While northern fowl mites live on the birds (unlike red roost mites which live in the coop and feed on the birds at night), spraying the trails of migration can help reduce numbers.

If you have a heavy infestation of large flock, I recommend spraying or using Ivermectin pour on (1% 5mg per 5ml) generally 1/4ml to at most 1/2 ml for large birds. Put that on the skin at base of neck or under tail.

All methods should be repeated in 10 to 14 days to break the hatching, larvae, adult cycle.

I personally do not find the herbal methods effective once you actually have mites (or parasites). They are more helpful in slowing the inevitable build up rather than eradicating an infestation.

LofMc

Are they dark little specks (like pepper) running around quickly? Then they do appear to be northern fowl mite. Slower straw colored bugs are lice.

I have preferred to use permethrin poultry dust to rid mild to moderate infestations of a few birds. Sprinkle under wings and at vent. Rub into skin. Wear a mask as it is dusty. Another way is to take a small garbage bag, sprinkle some poultry dust into the bag, insert bird into bag (with head outside) and shake...like the old fashioned shake and bake bags (without baking).

I don't recommend DE (diatomaceous earth) as it is very unsafe for the lungs (human and animal).

You can also get a permethrin spray and spray the birds, especially at the vent. You should also spray the coop roosts and corners. While northern fowl mites live on the birds (unlike red roost mites which live in the coop and feed on the birds at night), spraying the trails of migration can help reduce numbers.

If you have a heavy infestation of large flock, I recommend spraying or using Ivermectin pour on (1% 5mg per 5ml) generally 1/4ml to at most 1/2 ml for large birds. Put that on the skin at base of neck or under tail.

All methods should be repeated in 10 to 14 days to break the hatching, larvae, adult cycle.

I personally do not find the herbal methods effective once you actually have mites (or parasites). They are more helpful in slowing the inevitable build up rather than eradicating an infestation.

LofMc
They appear to be lice then. I used the powder. Thanks

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ivzGyiaOIn0FAAvJgSy4f8inKiwd9WMUaAp-TEALw_wcB
Screenshot_20220518-175852.png

Layer crumbles, what they find free ranging, occasionally fruits and vegetables, and fly grubs
What happened to this bird?
Thread 'What's Wrong with Sugar Pie?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/whats-wrong-with-sugar-pie.1520052/

Is she one that stopped laying/is converted in bugs?

Is bugs your only issue or are there other issues that could be causing the birds to not lay too....any respiratory illness?

There are different reasons why birds stop laying. Riding the bugs might help but may not be the only reason they stopped.

Layer crumbles, what they find free ranging, occasionally fruits and vegetables, and fly grubs
Core diet is layer crumbles. I give snacks at night usually, a handful of fly grubs tossed in the yard, or half a small watermelon on a hot day, or a few strawberry tops with the greens a couple times a week. This morning I gave them the Crust from a piece of bread. They get a handful of scratch too sometimes. I am not excessive in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom