Mites?

I'll try to get a better picture, but they crawl away as soon as I see them!
When I treat for lice I use permethrin spray or dust
spray_bottle_1.png
gordons_spray_tsc_1.png
permethrin_dust_1.png
dust_2.jpg

I have been using the permethrin spray for a while, but I think the mites have grown a resistance to the stuff. :hmm I can't always be where my chickens are to treat them, so the treatment hasn't been as thorough as I wanted it to be. Though I really thought I had got them this time, I guess not.
For the lice you have to get the spray on the skin in all of the places lice like, vent, legs, back, belly, neck, and sometime the head.

For the lice you have to get the spray on the skin in all of the places lice like, vent, legs, back, belly, neck, and sometime the head.
For any pest!

Agrees that OP pics look like a louse by shape, pic not clear enough to tell for sure.

@SunnyTheFrizzle here some tips for bugs check:
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Last edited:
Mites are usually black or dark red, the size of a pin head and move. That doesn't look like anything to me.

Mites are usually grey and a translucent white.

The grey mite keeps it’s colour after feeding, but the red mite is called the red mite because it goes red after feeding on the chickens blood.

In the OP that looks like a louse to me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom