Mites

autumnr

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 23, 2015
Is there such a thing as catching mites from your chickens? Since I’ve gotten chickens, each summer I’ve been finding mites on me and I can’t find the source, the only thing I can think of is it coincided with the summer we got chickens. I don’t know what to do, no one else in the family has mites and I’m the only one who looks after the chickens. I feel too disgusted to talk to anyone about this. It most definitely is not a type of mite that normally bothers humans (like scabies), from what I can tell they look like mites common to chickens. My husband says “we live in the country” like as if this is normal, but this is not normal, even for country living. I’m about to give the chickens away if I can’t find a solution. Any advice?

Hello! Mites specific to chickens can bite you which irritates the skin, but they don't live on you. Do your chickens have access to dust bathe? You'll need to thoroughly clean your coop, run and treat your chickens to get rid of the mites. We've had birds for three years, never had mites, our girls have dust bathing places all over the place.

Hello! Mites specific to chickens can bite you which irritates the skin, but they don't live on you. Do your chickens have access to dust bathe? You'll need to thoroughly clean your coop, run and treat your chickens to get rid of the mites. We've had birds for three years, never had mites, our girls have dust bathing places all over the place.
Thank you for replying. The chickens do have access to dust bathe, they are free to run around the property and have several spots they dust bathe. As for the mites, from looking online they do seem to be the same that live on chickens. No one else in my family so far seems bothered by mites and I’m the one who looks after the chickens so I’m pretty sure it’s from our feathered friends, and they are definitely living on me. The thread you sent is really helpful, I’ll follow its advice and cross my fingers.

Back
Top Bottom