Mites?

swedishfish

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Some of my hens have got some dirty bums and seem a little itchy. I'm thinking mites. What exactly are mites? what do they do? can my birds die
sad.png
? how to i take care of the problem? and can I buy what I need to at IFA if there's a way to fix the problem?
Not all of my hens have this problem and I'm thinking it might be because they're getting old. I don't know. I'd just like to have a little bit more information. Thanks!

oh, and I was wondering about ants as well. They aren't fire ants but recently I've noticed a lot of little black sugar ants in a part of my coop, the part where I've got a broody hen sitting. She's due in a week. I thought chickens ate bugs, so are they there just because she's not eating a lot? are they going to be a danger to my chicks? what's a good way to get rid of ants without hurting chickens?

Last edited:
You can go to your local feed store and ask them for something call Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. It is very safe and won't harm your animals, children, pets, ect. but it will rid you of your little bug infestation. I suggest you dust all your birds and sprinkle down there area and nesting boxes with it really good. Some people do this as often as weekly and others only once every three months or so.

As for an explanation of the mites well I never have actually researched them I just get rid of them with the DE as people here call it. Maybe someone else can chime in and explain further.

Good Luck to you and your feathered friends

Edit: Oops I almost forgot ... Welcome to BYC!!!! The DE will take care of the ants as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard about this great DE stuff, but had nothing to go on except that...and didn't want to walk into the store and ask "where's your DE?"
Thanks for the help!

many places carry it because it is a very common thing for garden centers people use it in their gardens to get rid of slugs ants and crawly things i know lowes and home depot carry's it for sure not to sure on walmart but probably

Oh and just to answer another of your questions, yes chickens eat bugs but ants must be annoying to them because my chickens don't eat ants unless they are those big black carpenter ants....go figure

Edit: The DE comes in two forms...pool grade and food grade. Make sure what you are using is the food grade. I don't know the difference in the two and I don't know what would happen if you used pool grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have an active infestation, you are better off using 5% Sevin and dusting everbody. Or getting Permethrin 10 Livestock and Premise Spray. They have it at agway and tractor supply. You mix it with water in a spray bottle and spray down the chickens, and the whole coop, roosts, nest boxes, etc. Repeat in 10-14 days.

DE is used for prevention, and probably wont work on an active infestation.

Quote:
I may have a mite problem; so we dusted the chickens with sevin dust. Question are the eggs still good or should they be thrown away and for how long?

Back
Top Bottom