Mites!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken03, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I went out to the coop today to get the eggs. All over the feeders, Eggs, And nest boxes were thousands of what I'm pretty sure are mites. I've heard you can use seven dust to get rid of them. Do you just dust it on them? Are the mites a danger to the chickens or are they just a nusiance? Thanks for any help.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Here's a link that has some helpful info. If it is mites sounds like you got quite the infestation. Yes you can use Sevin or poultry dust. Dust the birds thoroughly especially under the wings, vent, belly, under the feathers. Thoroughly clean the coop, roosts, nests etc and use it there as well.
    Yes mites and/ lice can be a danger to chickens and you sound like you have the quantity. Good luck

Imp

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

3. Chicken03

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Thanks for the link. From that I learned that I defenitly have mites. Its seems that they appered fast. I think that they are the nocturnal mites because It was dark when I went out and saw them everywhere. Do I need to clean the whole coop out or can I dust or spary it?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. Imp

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Clean everything out and buy Sevin Liquid. Mix it with water. I do make it a little stronger than the directions recommend because I am spraying it in the coop and not on plants in the garden. Use a garden sprayer (the pump kind) or a spray bottle from walmart and spray every corner, crack, crevice, floor and knot hole. You can dust the roosts so the concentrated Sevin doesn't irritate the chickens feet. Open all the windows and doors and let the coop air out. Sprinkle Sevin dust on the floor especially at the edges and cover with new bedding. What the liquid doesn't kill the dust will.

It sounds like overkill but well worth it. You don't want to go into winter and get another infestation.

Remove the nesting boxes and treat also. If they are wood you might have to replace them. I use milk crates for nest boxes. The mites can't hid and broodie chickens aren't bitten to death.

The Sevin dust and liquid will cost under $20.00 total and you will have it on hand. Don't use the Sevin liquid on the chickens. Just the dust.

6. Imp

Thank you purpletree23.

Chicken03,
    Good advice there.

Imp

7. Chicken03

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Thanks for the info. I know what I have to do now Thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by