1. chickenrookie16

chickenrookie16 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    i checked the vent of my rooster and noticed there was dried poop on the hairs near his vent and that there was also mites.
    i put poultry dust on him and a couple days later i checked on him again and there was still mites but less..if i keep dusting him will the mites die off and why does he have dried poop around his vent..??
    hes like 9 months old.

thanks

2. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    You could try to bathe him in a flea shampoo. I would cut the poop out first though. What kind of chicken is it? Is it diarrhea (however you spell that stupid word)? I'm not really sure what the answer is without a little more info (and then I still might not know). Do your other birds have mites? You will probably want to bathe him, and completely clean out the coop he's in and dust that whole thing and all of the other chickens. Maybe someone will come on that know's more about it than me, but I thought I could at least get you started. [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Mites are a rather serious problem. If one bird has them then they all have them. You need to treat the whole flock, thoroughly clean out the coop, treat the coop, and then repeat the whole procedure in 7-10 days. A heavy infestation of mites can kill a chicken very quickly, so you need to deal aggressively with this problem.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by