Mites?

sparrow75

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Recently I have noticed a ton of mites in my coop. They are extremely tinny, and I'm assuming they are mites. My birds seem to be doing fine, but I'm thinking I should get them out if possible. So, what's the best way to wipe them out? They are mostly on the walls/ceiling/and where the roost bar attaches to the wall.

thanks for the help!

Just found another thread talking about mites, and looks like Sevin dust is what is recommended.

Any tips on how to dust my birds? Where should I put it? Do i cover the entire coop and next boxes? Thanks,

Thanks. I haven't noticed them on my birds yet, but I will look at them tomorrow. I assume that they have to be on the birds since there are so many on the walls, etc.

If they are not on the birds, should i dust the coop anyways?

Mites spend most of their time OFF the birds and come out for a blood feed at night. If you have that heavy of an infestation, you surely have them on your birds. You need to thoroughly treat all the premises and the birds. I use a permethrin based spray in buildings because I can put it in a sprayer and get everything covered. Sevin dust goes into the nest boxes before clean bedding is put back in. For the birds, you can use sevin, poultry dust, adams flea and tick plus, or frontline pump spray. If you use the frontline, do NOT spray it on your birds. Put about 1/2 cc. into a container and apply to the skin with a syringe - one drop on the neck, one under each wing, one by the tail and the rest in drops around the vent. It is very effective and lasts quite a while. DO NOT use the spot on frontline - this is a pump spray which is much less concentrated.

Quote:
we use diametrius earth all over our coop, in the laying boxs, and on our chickens! it is found in garden supply stores and it is soooo safe for chickens! my dad told me tht it is really soft like flour to us but microsopicly it is very sharp and it is like blades. so it will kill all bugs even flies! we use it all the time and it is sooooo helpfull to us because we r new to chickens and thts wht we found most helpful! hope it works for u too!

<3 lucyboo

Last edited:
Quote:
There are a couple good videos on YouTube. One is a man "powdering" his chicken, so search using that term. I just did this for the first time this evening and it was easier than I thought it would be. I read one recommendation that catching the birds in the evening, after they've gone inside is easier. It worked for me -- I have one that's pretty skittish and hard to catch otherwise.

Thanks all, big help. I'll be buying some stuff early this week to try and kill the mites.

Just finished cleaning the entire coop and sprayed everything down with Permethrin, seems to have worked great! I haven't seen a mite moving since i sprayed, looks like it killed them immediately. Dusting the birds was a different story..I think my wife and I have more dust on us then the birds!! Not a huge fan of covering everything with insecticide, but it was bad in there. I'll retreat in 10-12 days.

Thanks again, i think i've put a huge dent in the mite population...and probably took a few years off my life as well!!!

At least permethrin is supposed to be a relatively benign poison, as poisons go. Supposed to be, from what I've read.

You could try putting them in a pillow case up to the neck, then sneak some dust in there and sort of roll or shake them around.

Or instead of the second dusting, you could cheat and spend about $40 and buy some Eprinex, a cattle wormer. Put 0.5 cc on the back of their neck for large fowl, .25 for bantams. It kills mites/lice and most types of worms as well (not tapeworm.)

Back
Top Bottom