Mites

cbrown86

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Missouri
I got 3 Silkies today from a farm that was in horrible condition. I wanted to take home every animal they had! Well, when I got home and gave my girls a bath bc they were covered in poo, I discovered that they have mites. REALLY bad. I got some spray from Atwoods. Is there anything else I can do for them?

Give them another soak and use Poultry Protector iin the soak. Hold them under (except for their head, of coourse) for about 10 minutes. When they are dried, dust them with Diatamacious Earth, especially around their vents, but also on the back of their neck and under wings. Repeat the next week, then dust DE every couuple weeks.

This is the most natural way to do it.

Other people use SEVIN dust, which is a pesticide, which I don't partiicularly like, but I have also used it once or twice on birds that have had more miites than others. Once again,the vent is the most important spot to treat, then back of neck, under chin and wings.

Last edited:
Thanks. The girl at Atwoods said she prefers not to use the dust they sold bc it had pesticides in it. She usually is right about any questions I have, so I got the spray. I will give them another bath tomorrow. Those mites are so nasty.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom