Mitigating crammed incubator

fatcatx

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Northern California
So... I’m locking down today on a set of eggs that I had really good luck with. Only a few infertile and one died about day 10. Picture shows incubator and
B1C44AC8-077A-4E3B-A82B-32E3CD337F90.jpeg
I’ve got to squeeze in one more. I am worried there will be some struggling to hatch since there is almost no extra room. I’ve done my best to tilt them slightly so cap might pop up instead of getting jammed against the egg next to it.
Am I worrying for nothing? I realize chicks hatch just fine crammed under a 5+ pound hen. But I’ve also watch chicks exhaust themselves trying to pop out after getting wedged in a corner of the incubator between eggs. Normally I’m down enough eggs I don’t have this issue. Thoughts?

In that case I would say you are going to be fine with that many eggs in the incubator. I have an octagon advance and have really crammed in for hatching with no probs. I have on occasion opened up and quickly removed some dry chicks as needed but in general things have all been fine.

Good luck with your hatch :jumpy

Probably be fine, if it were me I'd just watch closely and snatch shells as they hatch and pull chicks as soon as is reasonable. Once a couple hatch and get moved out they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom