Mitigating hawk attacks

I trap them to use for dog training. No harm is done to them, they are used in remote traps that simply release the pigeon when I press a button, then they fly home. I do the training within a mile or so of where I trap them.

You can buy pigeon traps online for around $40-60. They have one way doors, and you simply bait them. Another way to remove them if you can reach them is to simply go in at night to their roost. If you're not up to humanely killing them or eating them, you'd have to drive them 50+ miles away to reduce the likelihood they return to your barn.
Thanks for the info

RIP Rosco. Must have been one ballsy hawk to go after a rooster. Did he have his spurs in tact?

Roscoe was a year old, had his spurs, and must've weighed about 7 lbs. He was big! I am thinking the hawk might have had his eyes on one of the hens (I have two) and Roscoe, who was so good at protecting his ladies, stepped in and got killed in the process. I read somewhere that a hawk can just rip the head off and it's over. All he left me was a huge pile of feathers. And it was quick. One hour earlier my husband had checked on them and they were happily pecking about the yard - never heard a squawk or anything like that. So sad.

Back
Top Bottom