Mix bantam and layer flock need advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ninny, Feb 15, 2009.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I have always dreamed of having a small bantam hatchery. Now i have the the land to do it but need advice. I have a small building that will be turned into a coop. I have that posted here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1615102#p1615102. This is the smaller building that i am gonna start with. But i also would like to have layers. Could i run bantams and layers together? Also i will have chicks in this area. They will be in a pen. But will a flock like this get along? or am i looking at big problems?

I have some buyers for eggs. I was hoping to use the egg money to cover some start up costs.

Thanks!

2. cointoss

cointoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    I don't have personal experience in this, but I've seen them get along, and not get along, on different farms. It seems like when they are brought in together at the same time and grow up together, things are usually OK. And if you do need to seperate the banties, the space they need is usually easily found, at least. Roosters, tho, whether they are big or small, always think they are big! So, there can be issues there with the roos, if there aren't enough hens and they have to compete. I'm sure others here will have more concrete advice for you -- Good luck!

3. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Well, I'm pretty new to chickens - just got my first flock in spring 2008. I have 9 leghorns and 2 banties all together in my coop. I haven't noticed any problems between the two breeds. The banties are a hen and a rooster. The banty rooster tends to be a bit of a loner, but the girls all get along well.

4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have all different aged and sized birds together and all get along fine. [​IMG]

5. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Mine get along. What I do is raise my standard layers up until they are just a little bit smaller than my bantams, then I put them in with the bantams. They stay there until they are the size of my standard girls then they get moved in with them. I keep mine in separate coops, but they range together with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by