Mixed 5 week olds with rest of flock and NO issues!

lilmama

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Today I let my 5 week old hens free range with the big girls. The young ones walked into the established girl's coop at one point and the big girls followed them in but were not irritated in the least. They didn't even do so much as give them a second glance. In fact, one of the 5 weekers charged the hen I thought was at the top of the pecking order.
lol.png

Do I dare let them roost together tonight?

I never have problems mixing my teen birds with the older birds, if they get alone fine during the day they should be ok roosting together if you want to take the chance. I've never had an issue.

I wouldn't trust the big girls with the 5 week olds the next morning when they wake up. They may THEN decide that the coop's not big enough for both groups and you won't be out there (unless you get up really early to let them out) to stop any misbehavior.

Quote:
That's a good idea
smile.png
(giving it longer - not waking up at 5...lol). Free ranging together (and exploring the big coop area) is typically a whole different dynamic than actually being confined together.

I actually just put my five week olds with my twelve week old hens and they survived their first night together. The older girls chased them around a little, but then got bored and they just hang out fine. I also started introducing the peeps when they were three and a half weeks old. Good luck with your introductions.

Quote:
My 8 week olds have done a little chasing of my 5 week olds that were just introduced, but it wasn't bad. One rooster and one hen have given them the most grief. They tend to walk about in seperate groups...but they are starting to get closer together.
big_smile.png

I also have some younger chickens that I think are ready for the "big coop" I've been letting them free range with the big girls, and it hasn't gone bad. I'm thinking of allowing the three young buckeyes and the two young orps and my two turkeys to go over with them soon......I'm a little nervous though.

question for you all, I have 16 14 week olds, in the coop, it is getting down to the 50's at night...
inside the house I have 3 2 week olds...feathering out nicely, only used a heat lamp for the first few nights...now not at all.

I know how I should introduce them, my question is, is now or in the next 2 weeks, too soon?

Should I keep them in their cage and put them in the coop with the
older girls now? I fully intended to do this, but wondered if you all thought it was still too chilly for such young ones to go in that temp?

I would like to get them all together soon, but worry it is too chilly, even if I do leave them in their cage...

What say you?

OOP, I need to post this as a single post...not to hijack this one, sorry, will repost this in my own!
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom