mixed ages coming to my coop.

David61

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I have 3 hens left in my flock. They are three years old and not laying much at all, maybe two eges a week. 10 New chicks just spent the first night in the coop. They are 4-5 weeks old. They bed down under the poop board as i have it wired off with a door. I let my 3 old girls out in the run and shut the door. Now i open the pin under the poop board and the chicks have the armored coop.
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG

In two or three weeks I will open the coop door to the run and let them out with the old ladys. Thats cut and dry and should be fine.
Now look at this.

IMG_2935.JPG

This is not a case of chicken math but a case of i wanted all dad burned summer for TSC to get speckled Sussex . I could not wait any longer if i wanted eggs by new years so got some chicks. Two weeks later they got some in so now I have 4 Speckled Sussex that are two weeks old. About the time the older chicks come out of the poop board pin to roost with the old lady's these four will go in that pin and i'll start the two week coop/run shuffle all over. I know this works well with chicks going in with older lady's but the younger birds being a few weeks a part I'm not sure about. but it is what it is. I'm set up well with a lot of feeders, water and junk in the netted run. I'm adding another 200sq ft to the run. I hand raise chicks in my dog crate next to my chair in the house. The bulldog and i play with them untill the get feathered. The dog loves her chickens and i don't have to worry about free range time.
IMG_1873.jpg

Back
Top Bottom