Mixed Breed Duckling - Who is the Mama?

Yes, they are different genes. But, different alleles can be acquired from different crosses but they all started out as mistakes or mutations when the DNA was copied. People liked those mistakes and purposely bred siblings together to get more. After a long time, your whole flock has a particular set of traits and we say it is a new “kind” of domestic duck.
Interesting. At what point does it become inbreeding then?

They hatched first week in April. 8-9 weeks
Then, you could have a late quacker. This video is of my lavender duckling and her hatch- mate at nine weeks. You can hear him sounding like a boy but she (and she was sex-linked so I knew she was a she) took forever to quack. Here she sounds high pitched and almost hoarse and barely quacks. She finally started real quacking a few weeks later.

Tiny update! Not sure how this is genetically possible, but Tiny is a drake. His voice is raspy, tail curl coming in, and is wrestling with other drakes.

Attachments

• IMG_5780.jpeg
    IMG_5780.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Tiny update! Not sure how this is genetically possible, but Tiny is a drake. His voice is raspy, tail curl coming in, and is wrestling with other drakes.
Beautiful! So he is not lilac (so not sex-linked) he is silver. I just looked up Buff genetics again. I had not realized that they carry blue. So, if mom is the Blue Swedish. This guy got two doses of blue and is therefor silver. If you google Silver Swedish drake, you will see some that look similar to yours. The drakes get more gray and the hens more white. He is really pretty.

Back
Top Bottom