Mixed Breeds - White Leghorn Roo - RIR, Production Red, Red Stars, Ameraucana hens

We do a lot of white Leghorn crosses here, and donrae is correct that any cross to a white Leghorn will be a white bird with some color leakage here and there. A Leghorn/Red Star cross will be an excellent layer of paler brown eggs, and the Leghorn/EE cross could lay blue, green, or brown eggs depending on the genotype of the EE parent.

Be VERY careful culling for sex early with these babies. Sometimes even very young Leghorn cross pullets get combs and wattles ridiculously early, and with any other breed you'd be sure that was a male. Not so with these crosses. I don't usually cull cockerels until 8-12 weeks, and sometimes later on those that I'm not sure about--often don't cull until I see sure signs of maleness, like saddle feathers coming in.

I really like my Leghorn crosses. Their only downside is the monochromatic nature of the flock--and that white Leghorn/RIR crosses tend to have so much red leakage on the neck and breast that they look dirty all the time, unfortunately.

Maybe I’m a perfectionist but I want to hear a cock a doodle do before assuming it is a male. I wait for an egg to see if it is a female. It’s the slowest sexing method but it is an accurate and popular method to sex chickens. However, I have a small flock so it isn’t a problem if I end up with a bunch of full grown roosters. I can afford to wait to cull. I have 9 ten week old chickens. I have two silver laced Wyandottes that I’m not sure about yet. They appear to be roosters.

Back
Top Bottom