Mixed breeds???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Meat Hunter, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    I have a few really nice looking chicks, all pullets. Breeds are Ameraucanas, black sex link, barred rock, production red and buff orpington. I also have one big ole California White roo from a previous flock.
    I like the idea of having chicks running around the property and have the room for several 100 of them, not that I want that many. My question is, if I let that big roo breed with this hens, the offspring would be mixed of course, but would they be desirable for resale or do most people want a specific designated breed?

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Most people want specific breeds. Could you build seperate breeder pens?

3. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I actually prefer the mixed "barn yard" type. I find that they are more hardy for my area, and I love all the mixed colors, I have had, buffs, silver wyadot, rhode island reds, black sexlinks, red sexlinks all pure breds, but I still like the mixed.

Just my opion, and when I do sell some people dont seem to care as long as they are good layers, these are not for fair's or 4 H, just regular people.

4. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    well ive got a bunch of mixed breed eggs in my incubator now cant wait to see what they look like when they hatch i got the eggs from a old farmer he said they will be a bunch of mutts if they hatch but he had plenty of roosters in with his hens lol

5. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:well we have RIR,BR and WR and Australorps im trying to see if i can make my own sex links so i have a RIR rooster in one pen with the BR and WR and a few RIR and BR rooster in with the RIR and Australorps last hatch i saw a red chick with black stripe down her back i did a search and found feathersite and found out she was a red sex link so now im trying to see if i made a red sex link or if we have red sex link hens and they laid her

6. gotta have my peeps!

gotta have my peeps! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Rappahannock, Virginia
    Mixed breeds can be very hardy, and interesting. We had a couple Black Australorp/Ameraucana hens who were all black (like their mom) with rose combs and fluffy check feathers (like their dad's family) who laid huge green eggs.

7. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    IMO i love hybrids, there hardy, good layers (if crossed right especially) interesting and exciting when waiting for the hatch day. At the moment all our flock are running together (until there seperated for the orp breeding program i plan to start) and we have just hatched a load of their eggs out, all hybrids and all individual and unique, its very satisfying. I have sold many mixed breeds after explaining how hardy and productive they can be. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by