mixed bunch arriving to a newbie total novice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jaqueelee, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jaqueelee

jaqueelee Hatching

Jul 7, 2010
    Brentwood
    I have two pekin an abacot ranger females and a female and male runner duck. recently my little female runner disappeared and became broody over a pile of eggs laid by all! My male covers them all too- the femaless that is!! I didnt thinks she would go the course so took no notice other than to check she was eating etc- then the abacot ranger decided to join her. Yesterday I dicovered that they had succeeded in hatching a baby - today three more - there are about 40 eggs in the hutch - Help! I could do with some practical advice here on how to proceed. The little runner is happy with her new babies and they seem to cling to her more than the other duck. She is also sitting it out on more eggs. Should I try to remove the eggs not being sat on - should i disturb her to see how many more she is siting on. I have for the moment rehoused the two pekins and the runner male - although one of the babies escaped the house this afternoon and was chasing one of the pekins all over the place - the male runner did not bother or hinder the little one...

I have a reasonable amount of land but do not want too many more ducks So need some advice (also have chickens - no cockerel / and quail)...

Dont like the idea of killling off nearly there babies but also dont want them starting on more eggs... Also one of the babies escaping the house - am preparing to make a smaller run for them tomorrow but neither of the hens went after it. only one seems inclined to look after the babies. I have put chick crumb and water in the shed but the abacot ranger was eating this herself and seeing the older baby away earlier - whether because she could see me near by or because she wanted the food instead i am not sure...

anyone with expeience and advice i would be grateful - i wonder if i should separate the little runner who seems more inclined to nurture the babies and keep the babies and eggs with her - and move the other hen out!

or should i just leave nature to take its course?? or should i bring the babies in and put them in a brooder (have raised two very tame ducks this way)

thanks for any help you can give

2. GrannySue

GrannySue Songster

If you don't want more ducks I think it's time to ditch, pitch or otherwise dispose of the extra eggs.
    I currently have a hen raising 2 ducklings which she hatched and another sitting on some duck eggs.

3. jaqueelee

jaqueelee Hatching

Jul 7, 2010
    Brentwood
    Hi grannysue - took your advice - had 7 hatch so got rid of the other eggs - she seemed to have come off them for the day so took advantage and cleaned out the house. only problem was i later heard cheeping coming from the bin bag i'd put it all in - i rescued the hatching egg and sat with it in the sun all afternoon watching it hatch - was delightful... so ended up with 8!

4. ejctm

ejctm Songster

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Shame the other ducklings had to die. could you not have found homes for them?

5. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    You killed them while they were hatching? [​IMG] That is pretty cruel, but what's done is done. If you ever have this happen again, remember, you can just sell them or give them away when they are only a day or two old. [​IMG]

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

They can still hatch for the next few days even without heat. Please put them back if they haven't been removed for to long. I'm sure someone on this board is willing to take them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by