Mixed ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by holachicka, Jun 29, 2010.

1. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    So, how many of you raise mixed ducks? What do you use them for?

There is a lady on craigslist selling eggs in my area for $3 a dozen. I already asked her, and they are fertile. I'm assuming they are from a mixed flock, but I'm not sure of what...

My real question is; are mixed ducks suitable for meat and egg production? I'm really looking for meat and eggs at little cost. What is your opinion?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have not bred any ducks yet but I did get a few mixed breed ducks.
    I know I have a Pekin/Rouen drake and possibly the Rouens are not pure but they look it. I will most likely be getting Muscovy, too. We will be eating extra males and have eggs from our Runners, Khaki Campbells and others for eating. I don't care to raise any ducks but I bet it will happen with the Muscovy. Since they are sterile when crossed we figure we may as well eat any extra drakes.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My entire flock is mostly mutts. i have :
    2 mallard x buff
    3 magpie x runner
    1 mallardxbuff x runner
    1 cayuga x mallard
    1 magpie x mallard
    1 swedish mix
    1 cayuga x swede
    1 cayuga x runner

I sell off most of my others but keep the pretty ones lol. I have mutts because they are just the prettiest to me. You never know what colors you are going to get [​IMG] I sell ducks and ducklings for pets or for ponds. I get pink, green, blue, and khaki colored eggs. most of the time i have too many eggs to handle and give them away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by