Mixed flock feed

EddieSalita

Songster
Mar 10, 2023
Qld, Australia
https://barastocpoultry.com.au/our-products/naturals-range/mixed-flock/

Does this seem right to you?

*Calcium of 3.8% but for birds whose primary purpose is to not lay eggs....

I'm looking for something to feed my flock when I integrate the new chicks in a few weeks looks like I might just have to use a pullet grower as mixed flock feed in Australia. Sometimes we can be a bit backwards down here, very limited selection.

Last edited:
It is a good feed for laying chickens, ducks, geese , and whatever you may have.
I use Alflock,,, a feed available here in the USA. It is 2% calcium. My reason for this feed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have layers, and geriatric chickens that no longer lay eggs. I do not have any roosters,,, but my feed would be good for roosters also.
The 2% calcium is good for non laying hens, as well as other fowl. I do provide Cracked Oyster shells free-choice always. The chickens that need additional calcium, simply munch on some of the oyster shells. I also recycle all my chicken egg shells back to the chickens,, (free-choice)
I'm not sure how much harm,, your feed would do to your new chicks,, but it is always better to error on the safe side. Give the chicks the grower feed, and see how things work out for you. I'm not sure what the calcium percentage grower feed has??? I have never purchased any.
When I had small chicks,, I used Chick Starter feed. It was also crumbles, and I used the medicated variety. The medicated variety prevents coccidiosis in newborn chicks,,, until they build up an immunity.
Since you will be feeding same,,, grower feed to the rest of your chickens.. I suggest you supplement their calcium need with ether egg shells, or oyster shells,. Grower feed may be low in calcium. :idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I think it looks good, although I'm not sure about the exact amount of calcium young chicks can have.
This is what I use, if you need more options.
https://thevellagroup.com.au/product/category/poultry-grower-starter/ (the one at the top) I use it for all my flock, and have done so for the last two or so years, and have been very happy with it!
I agree about not having very many all flock type products here. (I am in NSW bty)

Cavemanrick.... most of the pullet growers I'm seeing are 1% or less. A minimal search on the net suggests more than this for pullets isn't ideal. Certainly almost 4% seems crazy. I want to avoid medicated feed when they are in together. I need the eggs.

I think it looks good, although I'm not sure about the exact amount of calcium young chicks can have.
This is what I use, if you need more options.
https://thevellagroup.com.au/product/category/poultry-grower-starter/ (the one at the top) I use it for all my flock, and have done so for the last two or so years, and have been very happy with it!
I agree about not having very many all flock type products here. (I am in NSW bty)

I can't get that one. I'm in Mary Valley qld. Rural supplies are never interested in ordering in just a few bags of stuff. Lots of supplier agreements to stymie the competition in oz.
The only non medicated pullet grower I can get is a mighty 16% protien. Which is adequate. But only just. I want to keep them tip top, and they will be eating this for 4-6 months while the younglings grow up.
I like higher protien options. Because my mum gets a lot of joy coming around and giving them scratch grains for a treat. So they do get a bit of that. I can counter it with a rich feed. They are very productive birds laying every day without fail. So I like to keep them well fed. It's only fair.

The other option is a 23% non medicated chick crumble. Would there be any drawbacks to feeding that full time to the laying hens for a few months? Also keeping pullets on chick crumble until point of lay?

I would of course continue to provide separate shell grit for the queens.

Last edited:
The only non medicated pullet grower I can get is a mighty 16% protien. Which is adequate. But only just. I want to keep them tip top, and they will be eating this for 4-6 months while the younglings grow up.
I like higher protien options. Because my mum gets a lot of joy coming around and giving them scratch grains for a treat. So they do get a bit of that. I can counter it with a rich feed. They are very productive birds laying every day without fail. So I like to keep them well fed. It's only fair.
I would not like to feed anything less then 18% protein to growing chicks and pullets, and even for none growing adults it really is stretching it.
The other option is a 23% non medicated chick crumble. Would there be any drawbacks to feeding that full time to the laying hens for a few months? Also keeping pullets on chick crumble until point of lay?
I don't think there would be any drawbacks to feeding that high protein, except for your pocket. (higher protein tends to be more expensive)
One idea might be to get some of both the 16% and 23%, and mix them??

It's about 25% more expensive for 44% more protien. Seems like a win. There is of course more to it than that I realise. I'm quite happy to pay a bit extra to ensure well conditioned hens. It's pretty easy to come out ahead vs supermarket eggs here atm, so it's no problem. Even with starter I'd be paying less than half supermarket prices.
I guess I could mix them. But if it's OK to do, I will just as soon give them all 100% starter. If I mixed them they might not be the most spoilt hens in the neighbourhood..... and that would just be unacceptable 😝

I raise my birds on 24% protein. Only downside is cost.

The 3.8% calcium is too much for birds that aren't productive layers - that is 4-5 eggs a week of at least med-lg size. Its very hard on roosters, chicks, and adolescents, though not in ways that are obvious to the naked eye in ways that will follow them their entire lives.

Between 8-12 weeks, after most of their growing is done, I transition to a 20% protein feed. For reasons of cost, the 20% protein feed I offer (a mix of 24% grower and 16% layer) has too much calcium to be optimal (about 2.4% +/-), but since I eat vitually all my males young, there isn't time for the calcium to do damage. Same with my unwanted (color/pattern) females. Even my oldest girls are just 3 yrs old (and being removed this year) as their production drops.

It comes down to cost, convenience, needs, management. Find a system that works for your with local resources.

I raise my birds on 24% protein. Only downside is cost.

The 3.8% calcium is too much for birds that aren't productive layers - that is 4-5 eggs a week of at least med-lg size. Its very hard on roosters, chicks, and adolescents, though not in ways that are obvious to the naked eye in ways that will follow them their entire lives.

Between 8-12 weeks, after most of their growing is done, I transition to a 20% protein feed. For reasons of cost, the 20% protein feed I offer (a mix of 24% grower and 16% layer) has too much calcium to be optimal (about 2.4% +/-), but since I eat vitually all my males young, there isn't time for the calcium to do damage. Same with my unwanted (color/pattern) females. Even my oldest girls are just 3 yrs old (and being removed this year) as their production drops.

It comes down to cost, convenience, needs, management. Find a system that works for your with local resources.

I have been feeding my 15-week old ameraucana hen and rooster 24% protein feed (dumor game bird start to finish) because they are being raised with a turkey poult (who is a pet). They get some cracked corn and other seeds too. I actually started them with even higher protein feed (28%) for the turkey's sake. I am about to switch them all to a lower protein feed, more like 20%. Should I stick with an all flock maintenance feed and then just give the hen oyster shell as she reaches laying age? It sounds like the calcium in the 24% feed you were talking about would be bad for a rooster in the long term- how much is okay for the rooster? My current feed says 1-1.5%. Just not sure what food is best for all of them together. They also get to free range in the grass. Thank you for any info!

Last edited:
I have been feeding my 15-week old ameraucana hen and rooster 24% protein feed (dumor game bird start to finish) because they are being raised with a turkey poult (who is a pet). They get some cracked corn and other seeds too. I actually started them with even higher protein feed (28%) for the turkey's sake. I am about to switch them all to a lower protein feed, more like 20%. Should I stick with an all flock maintenance feed and then just give the hen oyster shell as she reaches laying age? It sounds like the calcium in the 24% feed you were talking about would be bad for a rooster in the long term- how much is okay for the rooster? My current feed says 1-1.5%. Just not sure what food is best for all of them together. They also get to free range in the grass. Thank you for any info!
Yes, you can absolutely switch them to a 20% protein maintenance feed with calcium in the one to 1.5% range offering free choice oyster shell on the side period that is in fact what I would do in your situation and pretty close to what I currently do with my own flock period

Back
Top Bottom