Mixed flock? Gonna get along??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicchick, Jan 25, 2009.

1. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Any problem having a small flock (6 or 8) with say, 3 Wyandottes and 3 Brahamas? Do they mix well? I wanted to let husband and son choose "their own" breed.

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    You shouldnt have any problems mixing them. [​IMG]

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I have 8 different breeds all in the same pen. There has been no real issues. I have noticed the old adage "birds of a feather" to certainly be true.

4. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    I have several different breeds together and they are fine. Have fun!

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:I agree. Even though all of ours were raised together, I was suprised to see the different breeds stick with thier own kind when out and about.[​IMG]

6. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    As long as they are about the same age, there should be no problems. I had light brahmas, wyandottes, barred rocks and buff orpingtons together with no problem at all. They were raised from day-old chicks together.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Go for it! Chickens are like children, they are blind to such things as breed or 'race.'

They prefer the company of their own kind, regardless of the breed. It is that simple in the chickens world.

There will always be pecking order issues within the flock, though, regardless of breed. So don't confuse the two.

8. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Our flock is an assortment of odds and ends from the hatchery, and they seem to do fine.

9. Leggs_19567

Leggs_19567 New Egg

Dec 13, 2008
    I have a completely mixed flock. I have 3 barred rocks, 4 RIR, 2 comets, 4 silkies, 4 easter eggers, 1 ameraucana, 2 turkens, 1 welsummer, 1 buff orpington rooster, 2 RIR roosters, 2 wyndotte bantam roosters, 1 hen, 2 mixed silkie/cochins, 1 polish. The only fighting I have is the two bantam roosters the large breed roosters have not fought at all, I will not get another bantam rooster I believe.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    As long as they are all raised together there will be little problems. They will still establish their pecking order. It's more problematic to put different ages together than breeds of similar ages. I have two older hens that are constantly picking on the younger ones. Right now the culprits are confined to let the younger ones out in the yard without being picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by