Mixed Flock

pekincochin12

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
Hi everyone, we have a mixed flock of chickens and female ducks together in a coop. Some of the ducks were just introduced, as they are now fully feathered. I know they cannot have the extra calcium in layer feed, which the chickens and adult ducks need. We are planning to separate them in the mornings while they eat for now. However, during the day, if they need more food (we want to only put down enough for each group to finish before the afternoon so everyone can be in the run together) is it best to put down layer feed or all flock feed? Or should we avoid separating and just use an all flock feed and somehow make sure to supplement the chickens and adult ducks with calcium? If we put out oyster shell, would the younger (non-laying) ducks instinctively not eat it and the chickens/older ducks will? Please let me know what you have done! I don't want anyone getting ill from feed!!

just use an all flock feed and somehow make sure to supplement the chickens and adult ducks with calcium? If we put out oyster shell, would the younger (non-laying) ducks instinctively not eat it and the chickens/older ducks will?
I would do this, and let chickens and older ducks decide what their needs for calcium are.
I feed my flock of hens Alflock, because I have layers, and retired non-layers.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I have laying chickens, retired layers, geese and runner ducks. I put out an all-flock during the day when everyone is free ranging -- although the little slackers SHOULD be out eating bugs :). I keep a big dish of oyster shell on the ground so everyone can take what she needs.

When I feed in the morning, I do so in their coops so the layers are getting their layer feed and the others get the all-flock. As soon as everyone seems to have had his or her fill, I open the coops and hang the layer feeders up high enough that the ducks and older girls -- most of whom are heavier breeds -- aren't going to fly up and eat from them like the younger ones can.

Back
Top Bottom