Mixed Legbar Roo genetics

RKron

Hatching
Mar 18, 2023
If a Roo is part Cream Legbar and part Welsummer will it carry the 2 blue gene still? Can it’s offspring still be autosexed still at hatch since it’s mixed? I have a friend who has a roo but she’s not sure if her Welsummer/legbar mated with her legbar hen before the eggs went in the incubator. I really want the 2 blue gene but don’t want to risk it if a mixed roo doesn’t carry it. Here is the pic of the little one. She thinks it’s full cream legbar because it’s autosexing. Thanks.

Attachments

• D351AE40-5AB2-46FD-8E97-8A5D7F3ACD61.jpeg
    D351AE40-5AB2-46FD-8E97-8A5D7F3ACD61.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
No.
They have one blue allele and one nonblue allele.
And it is not autosexing anymore.
It could have been sexlinked if the Legbar was his mother, but it doesn’t really matter because he is fully grown now.

No.
They have one blue allele and one nonblue allele.
And it is not autosexing anymore.
It could have been sexlinked if the Legbar was his mother, but it doesn’t really matter because he is fully grown now.
Thank you. My question was not very clear. I edited it. Since she believes this one that just hatched is a roo based on auto sexing does that mean this is likely a full cream legbar?

Since she believes this one that just hatched is a roo based on auto sexing does that mean this is likely a full cream legbar?

Autosexing works because a male with two copies of the barring gene is lighter in color than a female with one copy (or a mixed-breed male with one copy.)

A light male (autosexing) can only happen if he inherits barring from both parents. So if the only possible parents are Welsummers and Legbars, then yes a light (autosexing) male must be a pure Cream Legbar.

Back
Top Bottom