Mixed Mallard? Pix!~

HetaChick

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
California
So I had a horrible hatch and ended up with one duckling. (looks like 2 pet ducks now)

So i found eggs in the open at a local and dirty park and took them. Wasn't expecting much but i thought of my 4 eggs i would have had at least 2. (one didn't hatch because half its beak wasn't formed at all. *shudders* Very nasty park.)

anyways so the likely hood of cross is high but i don't know my mallards all that well. It hatched really dark wild type, no clear black stripe through its eyes instead it has a pale yellow stripe and its bill and feet are bright yellow orange and black mottled. The egg it hatched out of was cream colored and there was a hen around, it looked pure mallard to me.

I'll get a picture.

Last edited:
Oh i know some people are looking at this, I'm just curious to know if anyone thinks its a mix or has seen one all dark and patterned like this. yes? No?

it looks like a pure mallard to me. the obvious though is admitting on the World Wide Web that you took eggs from a nest in a public place. the only time a nest or native animals can be touched, destroyed, relocated is by permit only. Otherwise it is a felony, even though you may have had no intention of wrong doing it could get you in more trouble then you care to be in or pay for.

It sure is cute.
smile.png

People dump their ducks at this lake. And when i found the eggs some were broken already and scratched up like a predator or human was getting to them. They even remove ducks. As mad at people seem to get about such things I doubt they would pursue me for my money when they have a clear overpopulated park that practically every year suffers die-offs because of avian botulism and avian cholera. Still you are correct. But seeing as people purposely destroy these nests…. dump off easter ducklings…. horrible things. I just am not fond of finding dead ducklings drown in the lake. Many people rescue ducklings that are wild birds, isn't that also illegal since they are supposed to be given to rehabilitation centers? Many of those animals are destroyed. Seeing this duck is mixed that makes it part domestic which makes it an unprotected species. Anyways.

Now that I am passed that, thank you everyone for your replies. I thought it was a cross. it's a beautiful bird and i'm interested to see what it will turn out to be. It probably is crossed with one of the many domestic breeds that were dumped there. I'm curious to see what it will grow up to look like.

People dump their ducks at this lake. And when i found the eggs some were broken already and scratched up like a predator or human was getting to them. They even remove ducks. As mad at people seem to get about such things I doubt they would pursue me for my money when they have a clear overpopulated park that practically every year suffers die-offs because of avian botulism and avian cholera. Still you are correct. But seeing as people purposely destroy these nests…. dump off easter ducklings…. horrible things. I just am not fond of finding dead ducklings drown in the lake. Many people rescue ducklings that are wild birds, isn't that also illegal since they are supposed to be given to rehabilitation centers? Many of those animals are destroyed. Seeing this duck is mixed that makes it part domestic which makes it an unprotected species. Anyways.

Now that I am passed that, thank you everyone for your replies. I thought it was a cross. it's a beautiful bird and i'm interested to see what it will turn out to be. It probably is crossed with one of the many domestic breeds that were dumped there. I'm curious to see what it will grow up to look like.
Keep the pics coming
pop.gif

This is the duckling now. She has a white patch on her neck (so yeah, she's a mixed duck ) she has started to quack, so I guess she's a she. My muscovy turned out to be male, I think.

Back
Top Bottom