Mixed Rooster -- What is it?

iheartchkns

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
I bought this guy as a 2-day old chick and watched him transform into this beautiful rooster. He came from a farm where the chickens all intermingle and end up hatching in all of these great combinations. Does anyone have any idea what breeds this guy might consist of?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sorry, here's the picture......
24516_img_0177.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like he has some top hat there? The huge comb does suggest Leghorn as a possibility, maybe also some Polish? Could also be Cochin or Brahma. It looks like he has barring in some of his feathers, so maybe barred Cochin (on second thought could be feather shanked Cuckoo Marans? I would guess at least one of his parents was a cross, he does seem to have a combination of at least 3 breeds. Cool looking boy!

Let's see. . . He's got some duckwing color in there, some pencilling or some other patterned gene in there, a crest, a single comb, heavily feathered shanks, a heavy body. . .

Yup you're looking at one big mutt.
gig.gif
Seriously, he could have any combination of the following breeds, either just two or more:

Cochin, Silkie, Polish, Sultan, Leghorn, Rock

The fact that his comb is so big points to a definite that there's Polish somewhere back there. . . Often crossing birds with a V comb and ones with a single comb make a VERY big single comb.

Also, the fact that he's got duckwing color makes it even moreso that he's definitely just a huge salad of breeds, because not many with his bodily features carry the duckwing color.

Quote:
I'm thinking he is a cross of at least 4 different breeds.

Agreed, agreed! A total mutt, who knows what mix he really is! All of these are good guesses, though, based off of his characteristics.

That said, he's a neat-looking fellow! I love his oddball colors, they're very unique. I love mixed breeds, they can turn out to be some of the coolest birds!

Thank you all for these very interesting suggestions! The lady I got him from has all of those breeds or mixes of them, so I think you're right on the money with the combos. He also has a very sweet disposition, which helps to make him my favorite. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom