Mixing 10week bantams and 1 10wee standard with 5week standard and 5 week 1 bantam

luv4hart

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2023
I keep looking and I can’t find a really good answer for how to integrate when I have 10 week old chicks (3 bantams hens 2 bantam Roos and 1 RIR standard) with 5 week old chicks ( 1 bantam and 3 standards).

I had planned to just elevate the open bottom brooder box I’ve had in the run for the last 2 weeks but then though oh no the older bantam hens and roo would be able to get in with the littles since the standard 5 week olds are as big as the bantams.

Any suggestions? I wanted the littles to be able to have a hiding spot but I’m not sure how to do that. Thanks!!

You could try it and watch what happens. If it works, great! If it does not work, you can try something else or post again asking for suggestions.

Sometimes a hiding spot works even if the bigger birds can get in, just because it lets the littles get out of sight. They do not always need to be physically unreachable.

You could try it and watch what happens. If it works, great! If it does not work, you can try something else or post again asking for suggestions.

Sometimes a hiding spot works even if the bigger birds can get in, just because it lets the littles get out of sight. They do not always need to be physically unreachable.
Thanks! It ended up working perfectly! The youngest ones are finally bigger than the bantam hens so they only have to worry about our feisty RIR.

Back
Top Bottom