Mixing 6-Week-Old Chicks with Newborns

artvandolay

Songster
Feb 16, 2023
So. California
Hello,

I have 6 week old chicks and I just incubated some newborn chicks who are hatching today and tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone has mixed these two age groups with no problems in the same brooder area.

Any suggestions for mixing these two age groups? What to watch out for or if they will be fine together.

TIA

Hello,

I have 6 week old chicks and I just incubated some newborn chicks who are hatching today and tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone has mixed these two age groups with no problems in the same brooder area.

Any suggestions for mixing these two age groups? What to watch out for or if they will be fine together.

TIA
Some work, some don't. Obvious signs to watch: chasing, excessive pecking.

I've only had one group not mix very well- with olders or youngers (they were our middle trio, and we tried to put them with two other groups but they isolated themselves)

Some work, some don't. Obvious signs to watch: chasing, excessive pecking.

I've only had one group not mix very well- with olders or youngers (they were our middle trio, and we tried to put them with two other groups but they isolated themselves)
Thanks. I am going to try to do it this weekend. They're separated from the adults but in a brooder next to them where they can all see each other, but I don't want to have to set up two brooders in the coop if the 6 week and day olds can co-exist peacefully together.

Back
Top Bottom