Mixing baby chicks questions

RachCivi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
I ordered a shipment of brown egg layers that are due to ship today. But, I have 3 week old assorted bantams in the brooder currently between 80-85 degrees. Can I mix the day old baby chicks into the same brooder? If so, how should I regulate the temps? Or should I separate the day old babies for a couple days, give them a head start on food and water, and then mix them in with the bantams? If I keep them in separate brooders from the start, and put them all in the coop at the same time, will they get along if they weren't mixed together?

I'd add them if there is plenty of room. Having the mini chickens be the older ones will help with the size difference. I'd lower the light to suit the younger ones and let the older ones sleep at the perimeter of the light or even away from it if they choose. If you don't have space for the bigger ones to escape the heat then you need a bigger space or a second brooder.

Thank you! I've decided to set up the second brooder and keep the day olds separate for a while. At least 3 days to a week to get them off on the right start and minimize stress. Not sure how many chicks will make it, it snowed here all day! The new plan is to connect the two brooders in the basement and use a wire divider so they can see each other. Then I will try to remove it and give both sets a bigger brooder to share.

Back
Top Bottom