Mixing Baby Chics..Can We?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baf2426, Mar 12, 2012.

1. baf2426

baf2426 New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    We bought 6 Rhode Island red chics tonight at TSC, beautiful, and praying they'll make the night! But we also wanted several Americanas, which they had earlier today but sold out by the time we got there. If we find some Americanas this week/next week, can we mix them in with our reds? We have them in a brooder box with a heat lamp inside, so far so good...Any help would be appreciated!

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Absolutely, I wouldn't keep anything but a mixed flock, except for breeding purposes. My birds get along with relatively no trouble. A few weeks shouldn't make much difference. Especially if you are getting a few of each age group. Welcome to our world of Chickens by the way. Keep asking questions, you'll be amazed at what you find here.

3. SkyeSchazade

SkyeSchazade Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Mulino, OR
    Mixed flocks are the best! Be careful with introducing new chicks, especially if they are coming from different places. Quarantine for at least a week or so (many people advocate 4 weeks) to make sure the new babies aren't carrying any nasty germs. Good luck with your Americanas, they are hands down my favorite breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by