Mixing Bantams and Standards

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blue_Myst, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Can Standard hens and Bantam hens be mixed in a single coop? Like, for example, Buff Orpingtons with Silkies or Mille Fleur D'uccles (if I spelled that right). If so, can they be integrated together as adults, or is raising the standards and bantams together as chicks the only option?

Thank you for any advice! I just want to know if I have the option to bring at least a Silkie or two into my flock someday for egg hatching purposes.

Now I just have to figure out if it is wise to give myself the option to hatch eggs. I have a feeling I will need to buy five new coops within the year [​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I suggest at least two of every kind...my poor cochin is the smallest and gets picked on alot!

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have a mixed flock of bantams (black jabs and OEG) and standard hens. They get along just fine, just a normal pecking order. Some bantams are higher then the standards and some standards are higher in the pecking order than the bantams. I would say that most of the bantams are higher in the pecking order, they seem to be fiestier. When they squwabble for position the bantams seem to have more stamina and the standard breeds submit.

4. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    My flock is mixed and eveyone gets on just fine. Matter of fact, my biggest hen, an EE and my smallest, an ameraucana bantam are best of friends and follow each other everywhere:) It can be done.

5. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG] It's good to hear they usually have fiesty personalities! I bet my big softy hens wouldn't put up much resistance.

6. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    I tried keeping my sultans in with my Red Stars and Black Australorps, but that didn't work out. So I moved the Sultans to a different coop. I then got 3 cochins to put with the Sultans. The Sultans were merciless and picked on them whenever they were near them. That was about 4 weeks ago. Now they have figured it out and there is peace in the coop.

I would have separated them had there been any blood, but it was just the Sultans pecking at them when they went near the food or water if the Sultans were there. I made sure they got their turn to eat and drink (and they did).

I think the key is to give them time. As long as they aren't drawing blood or keeping them from food/water, they'll work it out on their own.

7. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    It should work because I havent had any problems.

8. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    I have never had any problems mixing the two!

9. acire67

acire67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    So glad I found this! Been thinking about adding some bantams in the future. The addiction is taking hold!

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I've had bantams and standards together for ten or eleven years now, and I haven't had any problems at all. [​IMG] My bantams are usually feisty enough to fend for themselves, and the standards don't generally pick on the bantams at all to begin with. I even keep guinea fowl and ducks in the mix, and my coop still remains mostly peaceful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by