mixing breeds in a backyard flock

chicken crazy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 1, 2007
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
I will be ordering chicks in May from a local hatchery and wanted to know what people's experiences were with having solely a single breed or mixing various ones together. I was thinking of getting a mixed package containing Dark Brahmas, Amerucanas, Buff Orp's and Australorps. Do you find it better to stick to one breed as I have heard some breeds are more bossy?
hmm.png

We have sooooo many different breeds and mixes now! We love it! All of the breeds you mentioned will be great together. And if they have babies, they will make some beautiful mixes!
Amy J.

I too like having different breeds, it's more challenging and rewarding for me. I would mix em up.

I love all different breeds and colors. I love to look out and see an array of chickens. I not only like a mix of different pure breeds but mixed breeds too. Some people only like one breed and one color. I knew a man once who would only have Buff Orpingtons because he thought they were beautiful and made a nice flock so did not want any other colors or breeds, only them. You will find what you like when you get yours.

If you got all the same breed how you gonna tell em apart?
its ok to get twins ie. freckles and dot. but if you get freckles, speckles, dot, dotty, and spot, how would you know which one was laying if you didnt catch them in the act?

It kind of depends on what your goals are. If you plan on breeding them then it is easier to focus on one or two breeds. If you are mainly looking for a backyard flock then three or four birds of each breed is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom