Mixing breeds in the flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by VerdaMaeFarms, May 17, 2011.

1. VerdaMaeFarms

VerdaMaeFarms New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Euless, TX
    Hello. I'm preparing to purchase my first chicks and I am wondering if I should acquire all the same breed or if mixing breeds is ok? I am only planning to have a few chicks (3-5). Any help or info is super appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Variety is Good! [​IMG]

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My first flock is 4.5 weeks old; three each of four breeds. They're doing great together. I got them at my local Agway, where, yes, there was a 6 chick minimum, but I could mix and match. I just waited for the weekend she was getting four different breeds in, all ones that fit my requirements.

Mix 'em up!

4. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    I would stick to all standards or all bantams, but within those categories, mix and match as much as you'd like.

5. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG] Variety is great. I am working on getting some of every breed! [​IMG] BYC is a great place to gain knowledge and friendship with other like minded folks! As a little disclaimer though, In March we decided to get a small flock of 4 - 6 chickens... Well, if you count the chicks I am now up to 55. Good luck on the "few" they are wonderful fun birds!

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree variety is good especially getting started as it allows you to check out different breeds and which fits you the best. My only concern is introducing very young birds to a established flock, you may have a issue there, it's that pecking order thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by