Mixing breeds?

theguy67

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
Hi,

I am down to 1 hen and 1 rooster, and this weekend we are going to a flee market this weekend to look for somemore hens. The chickens I have currently are a cross already between Dominecker and Rhodeisland red. If I wish to get a different breed is it ok to mix breeds if the rooster is already a cross? I wish to collect eggs and hatch afew from the new hens, but I am not sure of the result would be.

thanks,

Sure - you can mix any breed you want. They generally all get along though Polish tend to get beat down pretty bad.

Unless you plan to sell pure breed hatching eggs, mix & match to your hearts delight.

Are you planning to hatch chicks to sell or just for your own use? If it's for your own use, choosing another breed won't matter much. But if you want to sell chicks, a lot of people are interested in "pure" chicks. It's really your call. I have many different large breeds running together with a mutt rooster. I get plenty of eggs and I plan to hatch mutt chicks for myself.
smile.png
Happy hatching!!

Do silkies do well in a mixed flock? Sorry for the intrusion, OP, but I was curious since we were on the subject.

Last edited:
Well i'd like to sell them, but if i wanted to start over that would mean I would need to start over completely by getting rid of all my chickens ( all the 3 that i have lol). Can you still sell the mutts? I would like to hatch them and sell them so i can continue to hatch.

Wheres the classified section on BYC?

ON a second note;

I am thinking about getting some Rhode island red hens for my other rooster. I have 2 rooster and 1 hen ( i know terrible ratios) I was suppose to ahve 5 hens, but 3 were killed and 1 turned out to be a rooster. Rhode island red is not a mix i dont think is it? and would you say they are a disierable breed? The younger rooster is not a mix.

Last edited:
I personally like a mixed flock of different birds. It is fun to look at and I can tell the girls apart better than if they were all the same color, etc.

Are your half Dom. hens barred? If they are you can make sex-links with your RIR male. Mixed breeds sell better if they are sold sexed.

One of my favorite chickens was a mixed breed roo.

his name is Rocky and is now owned by AZBootzie.

Mixing breeds can be fun.

Back
Top Bottom