1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing chick ages

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MTchick, Feb 28, 2007.

1. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I'm getting chicks from the local feed store and they get two or three breeds, in pullets, a week. I was wondering; if I get 2 chicks this week (RIR and Americauna), and 3 chicks next week (Silver Wyandotte, Barred Rock, Gold Sex link), will the two older ones pick on the next three? Can I even go for a third and get a two Polish chicks on week three? I'd like one of each breed for fun and variety, but it would be rather hard for me to have separate brooders for different ages.

Will it work? Or will I have to settle for a week that has a bunch of neat breeds and double up?

-MTchick

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They should be ok. I put one week old BRs with two week old bantam cochins and everyone was fine.

3. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    I have some mixed right now with no problems. A difference of about 2 weeks. I watched them in the beginning to make sure that they played nicely. [​IMG]

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Bumping this to ask: if you have different ages together, you'd set the brooder at the temp for the youngest chicks, right?

I'm hatching next month and also getting an order of chicks. They will be exactly one week apart. Should I keep the brooder set at 95? Or do you think I should just use separate brooders for a week or two?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  5. ebonykawai

Anyone? Bueller?

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    95 degrees is fine as long as you have room for the older ones to get away from the heat source if they need to. I always let the chicks tell me what temp. they like. If they are all hundled together, they are cold. If they are away from the heat, they are too warm. My two chicks I have right now only liked the 95 degrees for about 3 days, then they moved away from the light. So I had to adjust. Just keep a eye on their behavior and you will be just fine.
    [​IMG]

7. ebonykawai

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by