Mixing chicks of different ages?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by doublenegative, Apr 2, 2009.

1. doublenegative

doublenegative New Egg

Mar 9, 2009
    We got a group of chicks several days ago, but unfortunately our 3+ breeds was 2. And 16 of the 25 were one breed. Now we are having mortality issues with the ones we only had 9 of and lost 2 already (birth defects it seems). So we can get some more at TSC in a few days and were wondering can we add 5 or 6 day-old chicks to our group of 23 or so that would be about a week old at that point?

We don't want to cause problems, but doing this as a hobby we really wanted to get some different types to experience the different types of chickens. I've notices a lot of people separate hatches, but they seem to often be several weeks apart. So I wasn't sure if it was ok to mix to a limit of days or never mix them until they are older.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG]

If I am reading this correctly, you want to purchase more chicks and mix them in with chicks that are 1 week old, is that right? It SHOULD work ok, but there have been posts of about older ones pecking the newbies. If that happens, then you will need to seperate them until they are close to the same size.

3. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I have the same question. [​IMG]

Mine will be 5 weeks old on Saturday, and I'd like to get a couple more.

4. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    If it was me, I'd get more now, but wouldn't wait another few days even to do it. The sooner the better [​IMG] I have one that is about a week younger than the rest... no problems at all, but I did bring them all home at the same time so their wasn't any pecking order at all yet. I think a week to a week and a half though shouldn't be a big deal if you can spend extra time monitoring them for a couple days.

Edited to add I think that 5 weeks is pushing it... I would setup another brooder for that batch personally... just me tho, you could be fine [​IMG]

Mark

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    5 weeks is a lot of difference in sizes. That I would question. One or two weeks will probably be ok from what I have read here. I have some 5 week olds and they are three or 4 times the size of my 1 week olds. I don't think I will try it. Some of the others who are more experienced like speckled hen would know for sure. Welcome jean

6. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

You can do this successfully. When you first bring the new babies home, keep them in their own space until they have good legs and can get around to food and water without any trouble. Once they're good and strong, you can put them with the slightly older chicks -- as long as there is enough room for them all to mingle, nap, eat and drink. You will have better luck putting them together now and chicks than later as adults.

7. doublenegative

doublenegative New Egg

Mar 9, 2009
    Sounds good. I would get more now (I tried actually) but the only place we can find chicks currently in our area without buying 25 more seems to be when TSC gets them in this Mon or Tues. Its not what we were hoping for...but its what happened. We do have a large brooder area (about 30" by 10') so I would hope they feel they have enough room and we use a red light at night to try and keep things calm.

Thanks for the advice!

8. oliver69

oliver69 New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    I have three 3 week olds , and just couldnt resist a little 1 week old Welsummer and just poped her in with the others, there seemed to be a little pecking in the beging but I played with them for a little while and things seem to be calming down now.....
    Will keep checking throuout the night..

9. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    I ended up buying 4 chicks one saturday, they were probably about 1 week old when bought. I went back the following morning and got two more, they were estimated to be about 1 day old.

The older chicks were bullies when I first put them in together. I ended up just seperating the brooder with a couple pieces of small wood for about 3 days. After that, I tried to put the chicks together again and they did fine all together. The younger ones didnt' take the bullying from the older chicks.

So I guess my point is, you should be ok, watch them close. You might need to separate for a few days.

I 'm new at this so there might be better answers than mine. All my chicks are doing good and getting along great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by