Mixing chicks question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Booswalia, May 12, 2011.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,
    Right now I have one lonely little chick in a brooder and I would like to get 2 or 3 more. Problem is I can't get them until the middle of June. My current chick will be 6 weeks old by then. Would I be able to put them together or will the older chick go after the young ones?

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Introduce them slowly, use a dividing chicken wire- wall for a few days.

3. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    At six weeks your first chick will be ready to come out of the brooder and head to a grow out pen or coop, so they should not be brooding together. If you chose to leave it in the brooder, the other chicks will try to get under it as they prefer the real deal mommy thing as opposed to a red heat bulb to keep them warm...they don't know it's a baby too, they just instinctually climb under the larger bird. Keep them close to each other and in the 5 weeks it will take to brood the new ones, the older one should be used to them.

4. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks. So it wouldn't be impossible then.

5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I cant speak from too much experience honestly but when I asked a similar question yesterday I was told to keep them separated or be VERY observant of their actions toward eachother. I have some Cornish X chicks that are 3+ times the size of my new babies and they seem to get along ok but they are separated most of the time due to the size difference, I dont want the babies trampled or smothered by the lil chunky Cornies lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by